1.욥이 풍자하여 이르되

2.나는 지난 세월과 하나님이 나를 보호하시던 때가 다시 오기를 원하노라

3.그 때에는 그의 등불이 내 머리에 비치었고 내가 그의 빛을 힘입어 암흑에서도 걸어다녔느니라

4.내가 원기 왕성하던 날과 같이 지내기를 원하노라 그 때에는 하나님이 내 장막에 기름을 발라 주셨도다

5.그 때에는 전능자가 아직도 나와 함께 계셨으며 나의 젊은이들이 나를 둘러 있었으며

6.젖으로 내 발자취를 씻으며 바위가 나를 위하여 기름 시내를 쏟아냈으며

7.그 때에는 내가 나가서 성문에 이르기도 하며 내 자리를 거리에 마련하기도 하였느니라

<설교>

29장은 욥이 고난 받기 전의 과거를 회상하는 내용입니다. 욥이 겪고 있는 현재가 고난이라는 것을 생각하면 고난 전의 과거가 그리워지는 것은 당연하다 할 것입니다. 물론 아무리 과거를 회상한다 해도 이미 지나가고 사라진 세월이기에 헛된 회상이라고 할 수 있지만 욥은“나는 지난 세월과 하나님이 나를 보호하시던 때가 다시 오기를 원하노라”(2절)라고 말하면서 다시 과거로 돌아가고 싶은 간절함을 드러냅니다.

여러분에게도 돌아가고 싶은 과거가 있을 것입니다. 회상하면 할수록 그리워지는 과거가 누구에게나 있는 것입니다. 특히 현재의 상황이 어렵고 힘들수록 과거를 향한 그리움이 강해진다고 할 수 있는데 다시 말하지만 그것은 뇌의 활동에 의한 기억일 뿐입니다.

욥이 회상하는 과거를 보면 온통 좋고 잘한 것들로 채워져 있습니다. 8-10절을 보면“나를 보고 젊은이들은 숨으며 노인들은 일어나서 서며 유지들은 말을 삼가고 손으로 입을 가리며 지도자들은 말소리를 낮추었으니 그들의 혀가 입천장에 붙었느니라”고 회상합니다.

젊은이들이 숨는다는 것은 몸을 감춘다는 것보다는 비켜선다는 뜻으로 이해하는 것이 좋습니다. 욥을 존대했다는 뜻입니다. 심지어 노인들이 욥 앞에서 일어설 정도고, 유지와 지도자들도 말을 삼가고 손으로 입을 가리며 말소리를 낮출 정도입니다. 마치 북한의 최고 간부가 김정은 옆에서 입을 손으로 가리고 말하는 것을 상상하게 합니다.

12-13절의“이는 부르짖는 빈민과 도와 줄 자 없는 고아를 내가 건졌음이라 망하게 된 자도 나를 위하여 복을 빌었으며 과부의 마음이 나로 말미암아 기뻐 노래하였느니라”는 말에서는 약자들을 도와줬던 욥의 선행을 생각하게 합니다.

14-17절의“내가 의를 옷으로 삼아 입었으며 나의 정의는 겉옷과 모자 같았느니라 나는 맹인의 눈도 되고 다리 저는 사람의 발도 되고 빈궁한 자의 아버지도 되며 내가 모르는 사람의 송사를 돌보아 주었으며 불의한 자의 턱뼈를 부수고 노획한 물건을 그 잇새에서 빼내었느니라”는 말에서는 욥이 의와 정의를 실천하는 일에 힘썼음을 알 수 있습니다.

이처럼 욥이 회상하는 그의 과거는 한마디로 말해서 인간적이든 신앙적이든 흠이 없다 할 정도로 완벽했다 할 수 있습니다. 때문에 고난 가운데 있는 욥으로서는 그러한 과거로 다시 돌아가고 싶은 마음이 간절했을 것입니다.

욥의 과거를 평가하자면 한마디로 말해서 아름답다고 할 수 있습니다. 욥과 같은 삶을 살아온 사람이 누가 있을까 싶을 정도로 모든 면에서 온전하고 정직했던 모습을 보여줍니다. 1:1절에서 말한 것처럼 하나님을 경외하고 악에서 떠난 자라고 할 수 있습니다.

그런데 욥의 과거가 모두 그러했을까요? 욥은 자신이 살아온 과거 전부를 회상한 것이 아닙니다. 욥에게 고난이 주어진 때가 몇 살인지는 알 수 없습니다. 하지만 욥의 친구들이 나이가 많았다는 것을 생각하면 젊은 때는 아니었을 것입니다. 그때까지의 과거가 모두 좋은 일만 있었다고는 할 수 없습니다. 다만 과거 중에서 좋았던 것을 기억하면서 자신의 과거가 좋았고 아름다웠다고 생각하는 것입니다.

나이든 사람들은 젊을 때의 과거를 회상하며 그때로 돌아가고 싶어 합니다. 과연 과거로 돌아간다면 현재보다 좋을까요? 어린아이로 돌아간다면 지겨운 공부를 다시 해야 합니다. 과연 그러한 과거로 돌아가고 싶습니까? 이처럼 사람은 좋았던 기억만 회상하면서 현재를 초라하게 느끼는 것입니다.

단적으로 말씀드리면 신자에게 과거는 없습니다. 어제도 오늘도 내일도 그리스도 안에 존재한다는 것이 답입니다. 그리스도 안에 존재한다는 것은 영원한 부활 생명 안에 존재함을 뜻합니다. 이것이 신자의 변함없는 현재입니다. 물론 삶의 조건과 형편은 수시로 변합니다. 욥처럼 오늘까지 있던 것이 순식간에 사라지기도 합니다. 그리고 다시 주어지기도 합니다.

이처럼 모든 것이 늘 변하지만 그것은 보이는 것에 국한 될 뿐이고, 그리스도 안이라는 하나님의 약속의 성취로 누리는 생명에는 변함이 없습니다. 영원한 것입니다. 이것이 신자의 현재입니다.

따라서 그리스도 안에 있는 신자에게는 어제, 오늘, 내일이 모두 동일하기에 과거를 회상하면서 그리워하거나 과거로 돌아가고자 하는 것은 그리스도 안에 존재하는 참된 현실을 보지 못한 육신의 안목인 것입니다. 그런 점에서 보면 욥의 과거 회상은 육신의 안목으로 현재를 보는 것일 뿐입니다.

그래서 42장에서 욥에게 이전 소유보다 갑절을 주시고 아들 일곱과 딸 셋을 두게 된 것을 육신의 안목으로 보면 과거의 좋았던 삶이 다시 오기를 기다리는 욥의 소원을 들어주신 것처럼 보입니다. 하지만 하나님이 욥을 간섭하시고 이끌어 가신다는 시각에서 생각하면 욥의 현재는 변한 것이 없습니다. 소유가 풍부했을 때나, 모든 소유가 사라졌을 때나, 이전 소유보다 갑절로 주어졌을 때나 변함없는 것은 하나님의 동행하심입니다.

욥의 과거가 어떠했든 그것이 욥에게 의가 되는 것은 아닙니다. 약자를 돕고 정의를 실천하고 인격적으로 훌륭한 모습을 보인다 해도 그것이 의가 되어서 욥을 구원하는 것이 아닙니다. 구원은 욥에게 함께 하신 하나님께 있기 때문입니다. 그래서 욥에게 가치 있고 의미 있는 참된 현실은 하나님의 동행하심이고 이것은 우리에게도 다르지 않습니다.

2절을 보면 욥은 과거의 좋았던 때를 하나님이 자신을 보호하셨기 때문으로 생각합니다. 그래서 하나님의 보호하심으로 다시 그 때의 삶을 살고 싶어 하는 것입니다. 하나님이 보호하셨기 때문에 아름다운 과거가 있다는 것인데, 그러면 고난은 하나님의 보호하심이 없기 때문일까요?

롬 4:25절을 보면“예수는 우리가 범죄한 것 때문에 내줌이 되고 또한 우리를 의롭다 하시기 위하여 살아나셨느니라”고 말합니다.

예수님의 죽으심과 부활이 우리에게 죄용서와 의로움이 되었다면 예수님 앞에서 우리가 회상하고 그리워해야 할 가치 있는 과거는 없습니다. 예수 그리스도 안에 있는 것이 참된 현실이라면, 또 하나의 참된 현실은 죄입니다. 과거가 제아무리 아름답고 화려하다 해도 죄에 사로잡혀 끌려갔다는 것이 사실적 현실입니다.

때문에 예수 그리스도 안에서 우리의 과거를 기억하고 회상해 본다면 죄만 있는 악하고 더럽고 초라한 과거로만 남을 뿐입니다. 이러한 신자에게 예수 그리스도 안은 예수님의 의로우심으로 보호받는 복과 은혜의 현실이 되는 것입니다.

벧후 3:10절의 “그러나 주의 날이 도둑 같이 오리니 그 날에는 하늘이 큰 소리로 떠나가고 물질이 뜨거운 불에 풀어지고 땅과 그 중에 있는 모든 일이 드러나리로다”라는 말씀을 생각해 보십시오.

하나님의 심판이 세상에 주어진 참된 현실입니다. 심판이라는 현실에서 욥이 회상하고 있는 과거가 무슨 가치가 있을까요? 그 누구의 과거로도 심판을 견딜 수 없습니다. 선지자나 사도의 과거로도 심판을 견디지 못합니다. 이것을 안다면 신자는 자신의 과거를 회상하면서 자랑할 수 없습니다.‘나의 과거는 이렇게 아름다웠다’는 것이야 말로 자신의 기억을 붙들고 있는 헛된 육신의 안목인 것입니다.

우리는 심판에서 건지는 것은 예수님의 용서하심입니다. 예수님의 죽으심과 부활로 죄 없는 의로운 자로 여김 받으며 영원한 영광을 누릴 것입니다. 이것이 그리스도 안에 있는 신자의 현재고 실상이기에 나의 과거는 가치 없는 것입니다. 이 말은 지금의 삶 또한 자랑할 것이 없다는 뜻입니다.

예수님이 부활하시고 하늘로 가셨을 때 남은 자들은 큰 기쁨으로 예루살렘에 돌아가 성전에서 하나님을 찬송했다고 합니다(눅 24:50-53). 예수님이 계시지 않은 상황에서 이들을 기뻐하게 한 것은 하나님이 보내겠다고 약속하신 성령 때문입니다. 성령이 오심으로써 그들이 새롭게 살아갈 삶에 대한 기대가 그들을 크게 기쁘게 한 것으로 생각됩니다. 즉 그들에게 현실은 예수님이 하늘로 가시고 함께 하지 않으신 것이 아니라 성령이 오셔서 함께 하는 것이었습니다.

여러분이 성령을 받았다면 그것이 참된 현실입니다. 돈을 받고 권력을 받는 것에 비할 바 없는 복된 현실입니다. 성령이 함께 하는 신자만이 세상의 마지막 때 영원히 그리스도와 함께 하는 복의 현실을 맞이할 것이기 때문입니다. 신자는 이러한 현실을 사는 사람입니다. 이 현실이 무가치한 과거 회상에 가려지지 않기를 바랍니다.

Chapter 66

Job’s Recollection

Moreover Job continued his parable, and said,

Oh that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me;

When his candle shined upon my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness;

As I was in the days of my youth, when the secret of God was upon my tabernacle;

When the Almighty was yet with me, when my children were about me;

When I washed my steps with butter, and the rock poured me out rivers of oil;

When I went out to the gate through the city, when I prepared my seat in the street! (Job 29:1-7 KJV)

(Sermon)

Chapter 29 contains Job, recollecting his past before the afflictions. Thinking of the current hardships, we can understand why he would miss the time before it. We know it is useless since it is all passed, but he would miss the time as much as he says in Verse 2, “Oh that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me.”

I’m sure you have the past you would like to go back such as the more you recollect, the more you miss especially when you are having a difficult time, but let me tell you this again. It is a mere recollection, a brain activity with memory.

Taking a look at what he is looking back, we find that all are good and well-done. In Verses 8 to 10, he recollects by saying, “The young men saw me, and hid themselves: and the aged arose, and stood up. The princes refrained talking, and laid their hand on their mouth. The nobles held their peace, and their tongue cleaved to the roof of their mouth.”

That the young men hid themselves doesn’t mean they were scared of him but revered him, showing their respect to him by taking a distance from him. Even the aged would arise and the princes and the nobles were refrained from speaking and hushed. The scene makes us imagine of the highest ranking officer hiding his mouth, speaking to his younger ruler.

Verses 12 to 13, “because I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist him. The man who was dying blessed me; I made the widow's heart sing”, tell us his good deeds.

Verses 14 to 17, “I put on righteousness as my clothing; justice was my robe and my turban.

I was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame. I was a father to the needy; I took up the case of the stranger. I broke the fangs of the wicked and snatched the victims from their teeth”, show us that he did his best to do righteousness and justice.

His recollection looks perfect, making him wish to go back to such.

If we were to evaluate his past, we would have to say it is beautiful, not being able to find a better person than him, vouched by 1:1, fearing God and eschewing evil.

Yet, is that all his past? He is not recollecting all his past. We can’t be sure how old he was when the afflictions were given to him, but since we know his friends are aged, it wasn’t his young age. If so, we can’t say all had been good until then. He is just remembering the things that were good to him.

The elderly often wish to go back to their past. If they were able to go back, would it be better than the current time? If they were children, they would have to go back to the time when they had to study, which they hated. Would you go back to such? Likewise, we tend to feel the current situations shabby by recollecting only good moments of the past.

Making a long story short, there is no past for believers. Yesterday, today and tomorrow all belong to Christ, which is the answer for them. Being in Christ means being in the eternal life of His resurrection, which is the unchangeable current for believers. Of course, situations of believers could change. Good parts in life might disappear one day like Job’s case. And They may come back later.

Although it is true that things could change, the things are all limited to what is visible, but the eternal life, fulfilled in the covenant of God by Christ, is unchangeable. It is eternal, which is the current situation of believers.

Thus, for believers in Christ, since yesterday, today and tomorrow are all the same, wishing to go back to the better situations in the past is the lust of the flesh, not seeing the true reality in Christ. In this sense, Job’s recollection is nothing but the lust of the flesh.

That’s why Chapter 42, telling us that he received twice as much as he had before, and seven sons and three daughters, might seem his dream came true in the aspect of the lust of the flesh. Yet, if we take a look at the aspect of God, leading Job’s life, there is nothing changed, intervened by God. Whether when he was rich or when he lost everything, or when he received twice as much as he had before, what is unchanged is God, being with him.

No matter how good Job’s past was, it can’t be his righteousness. Helping the needy, doing justice or being a nice person can’t save him because the salvation belongs to God, being with him. Thus, what is meaningful and his reality to Job is God’s presence with him and it is the same to us as well.

In Verse 2, he thinks his past was good because God preserved him, wishing to live under God’s protection again. Then, is he saying the afflictions are with him because there is no God with him?

In Romans 4:25, it says, “Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.”

If Christ’s death and resurrection is for the forgiveness of our sins and our justification, there is nothing valuable for us to recollect before Christ. If ‘being in Christ’ is the true reality, the other reality is ‘sin’. Even if the past was beautiful and fantastic, all was captured by sin.

Thus, when we look at our past in Christ, we find that it is all sinful and filthy past. For such believers, ‘in Christ’ is the reality of the grace, protected by Jesus Christ in His blessings.

Ponder the verse, 1st Peter 3:10, “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.”

The true reality of the world is the judgement of God. What would be meaningful to his recollection in such world? No one’s past can overcome God’s judgement. Neither can that of prophets or apostles. Knowing this, no believer can boast one’s past, recollecting it. The mind of ‘my past was beautiful’ is nothing but captured by the lust of the flesh.

What saves us from the judgement of God is the forgiveness of Christ. His death and resurrection makes us considered the righteous and holds us in the glory of the eternity, which means we have nothing to boast about ourselves even now.

After Jesus was ascended into heaven, the remnants went back to the temple in Jerusalem, praising and blessing God.(Luke 24:50-53) What makes them rejoice in the absence of Christ was the Holy Spirit, whom God promised to send. I’m assured that the hope they would live in a new way kept them in such joy. That is, their reality was not His absence but the presence of the Holy Spirit.

If you have received the Holy Spirit, that’s your true reality. It can’t be compared to anything else such as receiving mammon or power. It is because of the fact that those with the Holy Spirit will be the only ones who will be in the blessing to be Christ forever on the last day of the world. Believers ought to be aware of such reality, which, I pray, shouldn’t be covered by our meaningless recollection of the past!

List of Articles
번호 분류 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
588 욥기 (72강) 사람보다 크심 file 신윤식 2018.09.29 17032
587 욥기 (71강) 엘리후의 등장 file 신윤식 2018.09.22 1151
586 욥기 (70강) 논쟁 종결 file 신윤식 2018.09.15 900
585 욥기 (69강) 결백 주장 file 신윤식 2018.09.08 1312
584 욥기 (68강) 어긋나는 현실 file 신윤식 2018.09.01 969
583 열왕기상 열왕기상 신윤식 2018.08.15 5182
582 열왕기하 열왕기하 신윤식 2018.08.15 3758
581 시편 시편1-76편 강해 신윤식 2018.08.13 7222
580 욥기 (67강) 현실 한탄 file 신윤식 2018.08.11 1134
» 욥기 (66강) 과거 회상 file 신윤식 2018.08.08 617