17.따뜻하면 마르고 더우면 그 자리에서 아주 없어지나니

18.대상들은 그들의 길을 벗어나서 삭막한 들에 들어가 멸망하느니라

19.데마의 떼들이 그것을 바라보고 스바의 행인들도 그것을 사모하다가

20.거기 와서는 바라던 것을 부끄러워하고 낙심하느니라

21.이제 너희는 아무것도 아니로구나 너희가 두려운 일을 본즉 겁내는구나

22.내가 언제 너희에게 무엇을 달라고 말했더냐 나를 위하여 너희 재물을 선물로 달라고 하더냐

23.내가 언제 말하기를 원수의 손에서 나를 구원하라 하더냐 폭군의 손에서 나를 구원하라 하더냐

<설교>

욥과 그의 친구들은 각자 자신이 알고 있는 하나님에 대한 지식을 배경으로 이야기 합니다. 욥의 친구들은 자기 신학으로 욥이 겪는 재앙을 판단하고 욥은 욥 나름대로 자신이 알고 있는 신학을 바탕으로 자기 재앙에 대해 말하는 것입니다. 욥이나 그의 친구들은 끝까지 자기 신학을 고집합니다. 이로 인해 욥의 현실을 중심으로 한 공방이 하나님의 개입 때까지 이어집니다.

문제는 욥이나 그의 친구들이 나름대로 하나님을 안다고 생각하지만 실상은 하나님에 대해 무지하다는 것을 스스로 깨닫지 못한다는 것입니다. 서로가 ‘하나님은 이런 분이다’라고 주장하지만 그 누구도 욥이 겪고 있는 고통의 현실에 대해 속 시원히 말해줄 수 없는 것이 그 증거입니다.

욥의 친구들은 재앙의 원인이 욥의 죄에 있다고 생각합니다. 그래서 가장 먼저 엘리바스가 문제 해결을 위해서 죄를 회개하라고 충고합니다. 재앙의 원인을 죄에 두게 된 것은 욥이 생일을 저주한 것이 그 이유입니다. 생일을 저주한 것을 사람이 나고 죽는 것이 하나님의 주권에 달렸음을 부인하는 것으로 여겼기 때문일 것입니다.

물론 욥이 생일을 저주하기 전에 재앙을 겪습니다. 즉 재앙이 먼저고 원망은 후의 일이기 때문에 시간적으로 본다면 생일저주를 재앙의 원인으로 말할 수는 없습니다. 그렇게 보면 엘리바스를 비롯한 친구들은 욥이 생일을 저주한 것을 근거로 욥에게 죄가 있다고 판단하고 “생각하여 보라 죄 없이 망한 자가 누구인가 정직한 자의 끊어짐이 어디 있는가”(욥 4:7)라고 말한 것으로 생각됩니다.

이에 대해서 욥은 “나의 괴로움을 달아 보며 나의 파멸을 저울 위에 모두 놓을 수 있다면 바다의 모래보다도 무거울 것이라 그러므로 나의 말이 경솔하였구나”(2,3절)라고 말합니다. 자신의 경솔한 말, 즉 생일을 저주하는 말을 하게 된 원인을 죄에 두는 것이 아니라 바다의 모래보다 무겁다고 할 수 있는 괴로움에 두는 것입니다.

그리고 욥은 본문에서 친구들에 대한 실망을 드러냅니다. 14절의 “낙심한 자가 비록 전능자를 경외하기를 저버릴지라도 그의 친구로부터 동정을 받느니라”는 말도 자신의 처지를 이해하지 않고 동정도 하지 않은 채 문제만 얘기하면서 회개를 촉구하는 친구에 대한 불만으로 이해할 수 있습니다.

만약 여러분 주변에 욥처럼 고통을 겪는 친구가 있다면 찾아가서 어떤 말을 하겠습니까? 아마 할 수 있는 말은 ‘하나님께 기도하시고 믿음으로 맡기시면 하나님이 좋은 길로 인도해 주실 것입니다’는 정도가 최선일 것입니다. 물론 이것도 요식적으로 하는 경우가 거의 전부라는 것을 부인할 수 없습니다.

우리는 사실 욥의 친구들과 같은 모습을 많이 드러냅니다. 우리에게는 종교의 틀이 있고 그 틀에 맞추어서 사람을 판단하고 평가하는 습성이 있기 때문입니다. 그래서 위로하고 도움이 되기보다는 오히려 상처를 주는 경우가 수시로 발생하는 것입니다.

특히 자신이 성경을 안다고 생각할 때, 자신이 신학에 정통하고 하나님에 대해서도 잘 안다고 생각할 때 자신의 지식과 틀로 판단한다면 나름대로 해결책을 제시하려고 하게 됩니다. 그리고 자신이 말하는 답대로 행할 것을 강요하기도 합니다. 하지만 이것은 아는 신자에게서 나와지는 모습은 아닙니다. 누구든 하나님을 안다면 그 앎은 가장 먼저 자기 자신을 부인하게 하는 능력으로 나타날 것이기 때문입니다.

욥은 친구들에게 자기 문제를 해결할 수 있는 답을 달라고 하지 않습니다. 그러한 기대를 했다 하더라도 회개할 것을 충고하는 말을 들으면서 기대를 접었을 것입니다. 자기 문제를 바라보는 자기 생각과 너무 다르기 때문입니다. 그럼에도 불구하고 친구라면 동정의 마음을 가져야 하는 것이 옳지 않느냐는 것이 욥의 생각입니다.

15절에서 “내 형제들은 개울과 같이 변덕스럽고 그들은 개울의 물살 같이 지나가누나”라는 말은 비가 오면 물이 많다가도 더운 날씨에 금방 말라버리는 개울의 특성을 예로 들어 친구들의 변덕스러운 마음을 꼬집는 것으로 이해할 수 있습니다.

“대상들은 그들의 길을 벗어나서 삭막한 들에 들어가 멸망하느니라 데마의 떼들이 그것을 바라보고 스바의 행인들도 그것을 사모하다가 거기 와서는 바라던 것을 부끄러워하고 낙심하느니라”(18-20절)는 말도 대상들이 개울에 물이 있을 것을 기대하고 갔다가 물이 없는 것을 보고 낙심하게 되고, 결국 물을 마시지 못하여 죽는 것을 빗대어 하는 말입니다. 그처럼 욥도 친구들에게 자기를 이해해주고 동정해 줄 것을 기대했지만 아무것도 얻지 못하여 실망하는 심정에 대한 표현인 것입니다.

22-23절의 “내가 언제 너희에게 무엇을 달라고 말했더냐 나를 위하여 너희 재물을 선물로 달라고 하더냐 내가 언제 말하기를 원수의 손에서 나를 구원하라 하더냐 폭군의 손에서 나를 구원하라 하더냐”라는 말도 욥이 친구들에게 자기 문제에 대해 해결책을 알려줄 것을 요구한 적이 없음을 토로하는 것으로 이해할 수 있습니다.

욥의 말에서 우리가 생각해야 해야 하는 것은 ‘친구가 누구인가’라는 것입니다. ‘친구가 무엇인가’라고 질문할 수도 있지만 그 질문의 의도에는 친구가 무엇인가를 알게 되면 그대로 실행하여 친구가 되어주겠다는 인간의 의도가 앞설 수 있습니다. 그렇기 때문에 ‘친구가 무엇인가’보다는 ‘친구가 누구인가’라는 질문이 더 의미 있다고 할 수 있습니다.

요 15:14-15절에 보면 “너희는 내가 명하는 대로 행하면 곧 나의 친구라 이제부터는 너희를 종이라 하지 아니하리니 종은 주인이 하는 것을 알지 못함이라 너희를 친구라 하였노니 내가 내 아버지께 들은 것을 다 너희에게 알게 하였음이라”고 말씀합니다.

예수님은 제자들을 가리켜 종이 아니라 친구라고 하십니다. 종은 주인의 명령대로 일을 해야 하고 만약 일을 제대로 하지 못했을 때는 그에 대한 징벌을 받게 됩니다. 그래서 종은 명령한 주인의 의도를 생각하기보다는 명령대로 일을 해 내는 것을 중요하게 생각합니다. 그리고 일을 하는 것도 징벌을 받지 않기 위한 의도가 강할 것입니다.

그런데 내가 명하는 대로 행하면 나의 친구라고 하시는 의미는 무엇일까요? 요 15:13절에 보면 친구를 위하여 자기 목숨을 버리는 것을 큰 사랑으로 말씀합니다. 따라서 제자들이 예수님의 친구로 인정되려면 예수님을 위해 목숨을 버릴 수 있어야 합니다. 그런 점에서 제자들은 예수님의 친구가 될 수 없습니다.

그처럼 예수님의 친구가 되지 못하는 제자들에게 예수님이 친구가 되셔서 그들을 위해 목숨을 버리신 것입니다. 결국 친구는 목숨을 버리기까지 사랑해 주는 것을 의미하는 것이고 이런 점에서 우리에게 참된 친구는 예수 그리스도 한분이라는 결론을 내릴 수 있습니다.

예수님 보시기에 제자들에게는 예수님의 명령대로 행하여 열매를 맺을 자질이 없습니다. 그들을 종으로 대한다면 불순종한 모든 죄에 대한 책임을 물어야 합니다. 하지만 예수님이 친구가 되셔서 그들의 책임을 대신 지고 죽으시는 사랑을 보이신 것입니다.

우리는 예수님이 친구가 되셔서 목숨을 버리시기까지 우리를 사랑하신 사랑 앞에서 나는 누군가에게 친구가 될 수 없음을 자인할 수밖에 없습니다. 그래서 친구 대신 예수님 앞에서 자신의 무능과 죄인 됨을 깊이 자각하게 되는 것입니다.

그렇다면 우리가 누군가에 대해 실망했다는 말을 할 수 있을까요? 실망은 기대를 전제하는 말입니다. 문제는 내가 누군가에게 뭔가를 기대한다는 것이 과연 옳으냐는 것입니다. 사람이 무엇을 기대하건 그것은 철저하게 자기중심적입니다. 친구가 나를 사랑해주기를 기대하고 내 편이 되기를 기대하는 것 자체가 자기중심적인 존재임을 증명하는 것입니다.

우리는 누군가의 기대에 맞춰 살아가지 않습니다. 그런 우리가 누군가에게 기대한다는 것 자체가 잘못된 것입니다. 그래서 신자는 서로에게 기대를 하고 기대를 충족시켜주는 관계가 아니라 친구가 되어주신 예수 그리스도의 목숨을 버리시기까지 우리를 사랑하신 그 사랑을 나누는 것입니다. 이것이 그리스도 안에서 친구의 관계로 존재하는 것입니다.

그래서 친구는 예수님의 사랑을 받은 자에게만 가능한 것이고 ‘나를 사랑해 달라’는 요구와 기대를 가지고 타인을 대하는 것이 아니라 나를 사랑하신 예수님의 사랑에 붙들린 자로 대하게 됩니다. 이것이 그리스도 안에서의 친구 관계입니다.

Chapter 17

The Disappointment with the Friends

To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty.

My brethren have dealt deceitfully as a brook, and as the stream of brooks they pass away;

Which are blackish by reason of the ice, and wherein the snow is hid:

What time they wax warm, they vanish: when it is hot, they are consumed out of their place.

The paths of their way are turned aside; they go to nothing, and perish.

The troops of Tema looked, the companies of Sheba waited for them.

They were confounded because they had hoped; they came thither, and were ashamed.

For now ye are nothing; ye see my casting down, and are afraid.

Did I say, Bring unto me? or, Give a reward for me of your substance?

Or, Deliver me from the enemy's hand? or, Redeem me from the hand of the mighty? (Job 6:14-23 KJV)

(Sermon)

Job and his friends talk to each other based on what they know about God. Job's friends judge his afflictions with their knowledge of God and Job, as well, tells them of his situations with his knowledge of God. They all insist on their own theology, causing them to debate each other until God intervenes at the end of the Book.

The thing is that Job and his friends can't realize that they are all ignorant of God although they think they know God, vouched by the fact that they say, "God is such such" to the others, but nobody can surely talk about the reality of his pains.

Job's friends think the cause of his afflictions is his sin. That's why Eliphaz first among the friends advises Job to repent of his sin. He thinks the cause is Job's sin because he curses his day of birth. It is probably he assumes Job denies God's authority of life and death by the curse.

Of course, Job experiences the sufferings before he curses his birthday. In other words, the cause of his afflictions can't be the result of his curse. In this sense, we can find that they presumably conclude his problem is sin based on his curse, saying, "Remember, I pray thee, who ever perished, being innocent? or where were the righteous cut off?(4:7)"

Against them, Job says, "Oh that my grief were throughly weighed, and my calamity laid in the balances together! For now it would be heavier than the sand of the sea: therefore my words are swallowed up." He means he cursed his day of birth not because of his sin but his grief, heavier than the sand of the sea.

Furthermore, Job expresses his disappointment with his friends in today's passage. Verse 14, "To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty", can be understood that he was disappointed with the friends, not trying to understand his situations nor sympathize with him but urge him to repent only.

If you had a friend suffering like Job next to you, what would you tell him or her? You might tell your friend like, 'pray to God and put everything on Him. Then, He will guide you' at best. We can't deny even saying such could often be nothing more than perfunctory one.

In fact, we are like Job's friends because we are somehow in religious systems and used to judging others based on the forms, resulting in hurting others rather than comforting them.

Especially when one thinks one knows the Bible well, having the knowledge of God in depth and judging others based on one's religious boxes, one would like to show a way of solution to them. Moreover, one might demand that they hear one, doing what one says they do. Yet, this is not what a believer is supposed to do because if one knows who God is, the knowledge will foremost make one deny oneself.

Job didn't ask his friends for a solution. Even if he had, he would have stopped listening to them when Eliphaz told him to repent because his advice was far different from that of Job's. It is Job's thought that they should have sympathized wth him at least despite what they thought of him.

In Verse 15, "My brethren have dealt deceitfully as a brook, and as the stream of brooks they pass away", he means to point out their capriciousness.

In Verses 18 to 20, "The paths of their way are turned aside; they go to nothing, and perish. The troops of Tema looked, the companies of Sheba waited for them. They were confounded because they had hoped; they came thither, and were ashamed", he insinuates that caravans die by their disappointment that there is no water on their way after having their false hope, implying that he is disappointed with his friends, not comforting or sympathizing with him.

We can see in Verses 22 to 23, "Did I say, Bring unto me? or, Give a reward for me of your substance Or, Deliver me from the enemy's hand? or, Redeem me from the hand of the mighty?", meaning that he is saddened that he didn't ask them for the solution.

In the words of Job, what we need to stop and think of is 'who is a friend?' We might think, 'what is a friend?', but if we know the answer, we might try to be the one. Thus, 'who is a friend?' is more meaningful for us to think about than 'what is a friend?'

In John 15:14-15, it says, "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

The Lord calls His disciples not servants but friends. Servants must work according to their master's commands and they are punished when they don't fulfill their jobs. Thus, they would think of their work as duty rather than master's intention in the work. In addition, they would do what they have to do not to be punished.

Then, what does, 'Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you', mean? In John 15:13, He says laying down his life for his friends is the greatest love. Thus, to be His friend, one must lay one's life down. In this aspect, His disciples can't be His friends.

For such, Jesus laid down His life, being their Friend. Therefore, being a friend means to die for friends. In this sense, Jesus Christ is the only Friend we have.

To the Lord, the disciples can't produce fruit by hearing His commands. If He treated them as servants, He would have to ask them for their sin. Yet, He rather showed His love as their Friend, dying for their sin.

We can't help confessing that we can't be friends of anyone before the Lord, who has so much loved us that He died on the cross as our Friend. Thus, we come to realize in depth that we are helpless in our sinful nature before the Lord, our Friend.

Then, can we dare to say that we are disappointed with someone? Disappointment is preceded by expectation. The question is if it is right that I can expect something from someone. No matter what one expects from others, one's expectation is solely self-centered. One's expecting one's friends to love and side with one proves that one is nothing but self-centered one.

We aren't living according to others' expectation. Thus, it is wrong to say we expect others to do something for us. Therefore, believers are the ones who share the love of Jesus Christ, who loved us until the death on the cross, not sufficing others' expectations and being sufficed by others. This is the relationship in Christ as friends.

That's why friends are only among those who have received the love of Christ, treating others as ones held by His love, not expecting nor demanding their love. This is the friendship in Christ!

List of Articles
번호 분류 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
608 욥기 (25강) 욥의 하나님3 신윤식 2017.09.23 60275
» 욥기 (17강) 친구에 대한 실망 신윤식 2017.07.29 33091
606 룻기 룻기 성경강해(음성) 은석교회 2010.01.01 29446
605 이사야 이사야 성경강해(음성) 은석교회 2010.01.01 22525
604 사무엘상 사무엘상 성경강해(음성) 1 은석교회 2010.01.01 21904
603 예레미야 (93강) 좋든지 좋지 않든지 신윤식 2013.10.06 21508
602 욥기 (38강) 이해의 차이 신윤식 2018.01.13 19882
601 사무엘하 사무엘하 성경강해(음성) 은석교회 2010.01.01 17102
600 욥기 (72강) 사람보다 크심 file 신윤식 2018.09.29 17038
599 신명기 신명기 성경강해(음성) 은석교회 2010.01.01 16773