20.어찌하여 고난 당하는 자에게 빛을 주셨으며 마음이 아픈 자에게 생명을 주셨는고

21.이러한 자는 죽기를 바라도 오지 아니하니 땅을 파고 숨긴 보배를 찾음보다 죽음을 구하는 것을 더하다가

22.무덤을 찾아 얻으면 심히 기뻐하고 즐거워하나니

23.하나님에게 둘러 싸여 길이 아득한 사람에게 어찌하여 빛을 주셨는고

24.나는 음식 앞에서도 탄식이 나며 내가 앓는 소리는 물이 쏟아지는 소리 같구나

25.내가 두려워하는 그것이 내게 임하고 내가 무서워하는 그것이 내 몸에 미쳤구나

26.나에게는 평온도 없고 안일도 없고 휴식도 없고 다만 불안만이 있구나

<설교>

자식과 소유를 잃어버린 재앙에도 불구하고 하나님을 향하여 원망하지 않았던 욥이 자기 육신의 고통이 심해지고 계속되자 자기의 생일을 저주하게 됩니다. 그리고 태에서 죽어 나오지 않은 것에 대한 한탄으로까지 나아간 욥은 본문에서는 하나님이 빛과 생명을 주신 것에 대해서도 원망하게 됩니다.

욥이 악에서 떠나 살았다는 것을 보면 죄에 대해서는 철저한 삶을 살았음을 짐작할 수 있습니다. 사탄이 자기 몸을 쳐서 발바닥에서 정수리까지 종기가 나고 그로 인한 고통이 막심한데도 불구하고 욥은 그 모든 일에 입술로도 범죄하지 않았다고 말합니다. 그런 욥이 계속되는 고통을 견디기 어려웠는지 생일을 저주하는 것으로 시작하여 하나님이 빛과 생명을 주신 것에 대해서까지 원망을 하게 됩니다.

생각해 보면 욥은 자기 인생에서는 있을 수 없는 일을 경험한 것입니다. 재앙이 있을 수 없는 경험이라는 것이 아니라 생일을 저주하고 하나님이 빛과 생명을 주셔서 죽음을 원해도 죽음이 오지 않는 상황을 원망한 것입니다. 이것을 보면 욥은 온 몸이 종기로 가득한데도 불구하고 죽지 않은 이유가 하나님이 빛과 생명을 주셨기 때문으로 이해하는 것 같습니다.

사실 욥이 온 몸이 고통으로 가득한 상황에서도 죽지 않은 것은 하나님이 욥의 생명을 붙들고 있기 때문입니다. 사탄이 하나님께 “이제 주의 손을 펴서 그의 뼈와 살을 치소서 그리하시면 틀림없이 주를 향하여 욕하지 않겠나이까”(욥 2:5)라고 도발했을 때, 하나님이 욥을 사탄에게 맡기면서 그의 생명을 해하지 말도록 하셨던 것입니다. 하지만 이러한 내막을 알지 못하는 욥은 왜 고난을 당하고 마음이 아픈 자에게 빛과 생명을 주셔서 죽음이 이르지 못하게 하시는가에 대해 원망하는 것입니다.

20-23절의 “어찌하여 고난 당하는 자에게 빛을 주셨으며 마음이 아픈 자에게 생명을 주셨는고 이러한 자는 죽기를 바라도 오지 아니하니 땅을 파고 숨긴 보배를 찾음보다 죽음을 구하는 것을 더하다가 무덤을 찾아 얻으면 심히 기뻐하고 즐거워하나니 하나님에게 둘러 싸여 길이 아득한 사람에게 어찌하여 빛을 주셨는고”라는 욥의 원망을 생각해 보십시오.

고통과 재앙이 없는 상황에서는 당연히 있을 수 없는 일이고, 고통과 재앙이 있다 하더라도 욥에게서 원망을 끌어낼 무게가 아니라면 그 또한 가능하지 않았을 일입니다. 그렇게 보면 하나님은 고통과 재앙을 수단으로 하여 욥으로 하여금 하나님에 대한 원망을 경험하게 하신 것으로 생각할 수 있습니다.

욥의 저주와 원망은 욥에게 없는 본성이 새롭게 추가 된 것이 아니라 본래의 본성의 모습이 드러난 것뿐입니다. 다만 그동안은 본성의 그것이 드러날 기회가 없었던 것인데, 하나님이 욥의 자식과 소유, 그리고 육신까지 사단에게 맡기심으로 기회가 되게 하신 것입니다.

이런 이유로 고통과 재앙은 우리의 행실과는 무관하게 주어지는 것입니다. 다시 말해서 신앙의 삶이 만점을 받을 정도로 철저하다 해서 고통과 재앙이 없는 것이 아니고 신앙의 삶이 엉망이라고 해서 고통과 재앙이 주어지는 것이 아닌 것입니다. 이것은 욥을 통해서 드러난 사실이고, 신자가 이것을 분명히 이해한다면 고통이나 재앙 자체가 부끄러움이 아님을 알 것입니다.

하나님이 빛과 생명을 주셔도 죽지도 못하는 현실을 원망하는 것은 욥이 그동안 지켜왔던 신앙세계가 무너졌음을 뜻합니다. 말씀드린 것처럼 욥은 죄에 대해서는 철저했습니다. 견딜 수 없는 육신의 고통을 겪고 “당신이 그래도 자기의 온전함을 굳게 지키느냐 하나님을 욕하고 죽으라”는 아내의 독설에도 불구하고 욥은 입술로도 하나님을 원망하지 않았습니다.

욥 아내의 ‘당신이 그래도 자기의 온전함을 굳게 지키느냐’는 말은 욥이 추구한 신앙세계에 대한 증거라고 할 수 있습니다. 욥 아내가 볼 때에도 욥의 신앙은 자기의 온전함을 지키기 위한 최선의 노력을 다하는 것이었습니다. 그럼에도 결과가 고통과 재앙으로 나타나는 것에 대한 원망과 저주가 욥에게 향한 것입니다.

하나님은 하나님만이 하실 수 있는 일을 욥에게 행하고 계십니다. 그것은 욥이 스스로 책임지고 지키고자 하는 신앙세계를 무너뜨리는 것입니다. 이것은 하나님이 아니고서는 불가능한 일입니다.

왜냐하면 인간은 본래적으로 자기 신앙을 자신이 책임져야 한다는 속성으로 존재하기 때문입니다. 신앙을 잘 책임졌을 때 복을 받을 수 있다는 지극히 우리의 사고에 합리적인 생각에 붙들려 있기 때문입니다.

다시 말해서 인간은 자기 신앙세계를 스스로 부인하려하지 않는 것이 당연하기에 하나님이 개입하시는 것입니다. 이렇게 우리는 욥을 통해서 우리의 삶의 현실을 읽을 수 있게 되는 것입니다. 그리고 우리가 신앙세계에 대해 어떤 오해를 얼마나 깊게 학고 있었는지를 알게 됩니다.

하나님을 원망한 욥은 하나님을 만나고 하나님의 말씀을 들을 후에 자신의 무가치함을 깨닫게 된다고 말씀드렸습니다. 결국 욥은 자기 스스로 자신의 온전함을 지키고자 했던 것이야 말로 헛되고 허망한 종교세계를 살아온 것이었을 뿐임을 알게 된 것입니다. 욥의 회개에는 이 모든 것이 담겨 있습니다. 그래서 욥의 회개는 하나님이 일하심을 보여주는 증거물인 것입니다.

24-26절을 보면 욥이 “나는 음식 앞에서도 탄식이 나며 내가 앓는 소리는 물이 쏟아지는 소리 같구나 내가 두려워하는 그것이 내게 임하고 내가 무서워하는 그것이 내 몸에 미쳤구나 나에게는 평온도 없고 안일도 없고 휴식도 없고 다만 불안만이 있구나”라고 탄식합니다.

욥의 예전은 음식 앞에서는 즐거움이었을 것이고 평온과 안일과 휴식으로 이어지는 삶이었을 것입니다. 그런데 지금은 그 모든 것을 잃어버린 현실에 붙들려 있습니다. 그러한 환경에서는 누구라도 욥과 같은 탄식과 원망이 없을 수 없습니다.

욥은 자신에게 불안만이 있다고 하지만 하나님의 일은 탄식과 원망과 불안으로 끝나지 않습니다. 하나님의 개입과 행하심에 의한 일인데 그 결과가 불안만으로 나타날 수는 없는 것입니다. 결국 하나님의 일을 하나님이 욥과 대화하는 것으로 이어지면서 회개의 고백이 있게 되는 것입니다. 이것이 하나님이 일하신다는 진정한 증거입니다.

욥기의 시작을 보면 욥은 구원 받을 이유가 충분하다고 생각될 것입니다. 악에서 떠날 정도로 자신에 대해 철저하고 온전함을 지키고자 했기 때문에 누가 봐도 구원 받기에 부족함이 없는 인물입니다. 우리가 가진 기존의 구원의 시각에서 욥은 모든 조건을 갖춘 사람이 분명합니다. 하지만 그러한 욥도 생일을 저주하고 하나님이 빛과 생명을 주신 것에 대해서도 원망하게 하심으로 누구에게도 당연한 구원은 없음을 보여주신 것입니다.

우리도 다르지 않습니다. 비록 하나님이 우리에게 빛과 생명을 주셨다고 해도 빛과 생명으로 살아가지 못합니다. 항상 현재에 만족하지 못하고 실망하고 원망하기도 합니다.

그 모든 것이 하나님이 하신 일이라고 생각해 보십시오. 하나님의 뜻이 과연 무엇일까요? 나의 행함과 실천으로 내 마음에 드는 신앙세계를 구축하고나 하는 우리의 종교성을 무너뜨리기 위함입니다. 그리고 하나님의 구원은 조건 없고 이유 없는 구원임을 알게 하셔서 감사하는 신자로 살아가게 하기 위함입니다.

그래서 고난과 재앙도 하나님의 선한 일인 것이지 불의가 아닙니다. 이것을 알게 하시는 분도 하나님이심을 생각한다면 참된 믿음의 길로 가는 것은 우리의 의지와는 무관하다고 고백하게 되는 것입니다. 이것이 신앙 세계이기 때문에 신앙의 주체는 내가 아니라 하나님이십니다. 내가 예수 그리스도를 믿는 것이 아니라 믿음의 능력에 붙들려서 예수를 그리스도로 고백하게 되는 것입니다.

하나님은 우리에게 빛과 생명을 주셨습니다. 욥은 빛과 생명으로 인해 죽음이 오지 않는다고 생각하고 원망했지만 우리에게 빛과 생명은 견고하고 흔들리지 않는 천국으로 자리하고 있음을 생각해야 합니다.

우리는 날마다 죄만 드러내며 살아갑니다. 그런데도 불구하고 지옥이 아닌 천국에 속한 자라는 것은 빛과 생명을 받았기에 가능한 것입니다. 이것이 하나님으로 말미암은 은혜입니다. 비록 원망과 불평으로 가득한 삶이라 해도 구원이 견고하다는 것은 놀라운 일입니다. 구원이 견고하니까 마음 놓고 원망하라는 것이 아니라 원망이 있음에도 불구하고 견고한 구원으로 감사하라는 것입니다.

Chapter 8

Light and Life

Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul;

Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures;

Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave?

Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?

For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters.

For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.

I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came. (Job 3:20-26 KJV)

(Sermon)

As the pain continued in his body, Job came to curse on the day of his birth even though he wasn't resentful against God after he had lost all his possessions and children. He, who lamented he hadn't been dead in his mother's womb, came to resent God gave light and life.

We know that Job was thoroughly strict against sin by eschewing evil, trying not to sin in any case. He didn't even sin with his lips when Satan hit him with sore boils all over his body. Such began to complain so far as God gave him light and life after cursing on the day of his birth in the continuation of the pain in his body.

In a sense, it is true that Job experienced something that he couldn't have imagined in his life. It doesn't mean he experienced the disastrous situations, but he cursed on the day of his birth and resented he couldn't die even though he wanted to die because God gave him light and life. In this aspect, we can learn that he understood he couldn't die because of God when his having the sore boils all over his body.

In fact, the reason he didn't die in the pain is that God was holding his life. When Satan said to God, "But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face", God let him hit Job except his life. Yet, not knowing that, Job was resentful that he couldn't die in the pain and sorrowfulness even though he wanted to because God gave him light and life.

Think of his words in Verses 20 to 23, saying, "Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul; Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures; Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave? Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?"

The words couldn't have been from a situation with no pain and disaster. Even if there were pain and disaster, they would still be impossible without the weight that could make him resentful against God. In this sense, we can understand that God let him experience the resentfulness toward God by giving him the pain and disasters.

His curse and resentfulness was not added as new but revealed from his nature. It was merely hidden inside due to the fact that there was no chance to be out, but God brought him the chance to show his nature by letting Satan hit him.

For such reason, the pain and disasters are given to us regardless of what we do. In other words, we receive hardships neither because we have perfect life in faith nor we sin a lot. This is proven by the life of Job, teaching us our difficulties are not to put us ashamed.

His complaint of the reality that he couldn't even die since God gave light and life tells us that the world of his faith he had kept so far was broken down. As spoken earlier, he was very strict against sin. He was the one who didn't sin with his lips even against his wife's curse on him, "Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die" after he had gotten the unbearable pain.

What she said, "dost thou still retain thine integrity?", is the evidence of what Job pursued for his faith. As she saw him, his faith was to do his best to keep his integrity. Nevertheless, he received all the pain and disasters. Thus, she came to complain and curse him.

God is doing him something that only God can do. That is to destroy the world of his own faith that he wanted to be responsible for himself, which is impossible for anyone to do save God.

It is because the nature of men is to take responsibility for their own faith, captured by a thought that they can receive blessings when they keep their tasks of faith well.

In other words, since men can never deny their faith, God intervenes. Likewise, we can learn of our reality from the life of Job, leading us to a realization that we have deeply misunderstood of our faith.

I have told you that Job, who resented God, came to know his valuelessness after hearing the Word of God. That is, he came to recognize that all that he had done to keep his integrity was in vain and an emptied religious world. His repentance testifies all that. Thus, his repentance is the result of the work of God.

In Verses 24-26, it says, "For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters. For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came."

Before the disasters, his life must have been different from the verses that he enjoyed food and had peace and comforts. But, now, he is captured by the reality that he lost everything. In such environment, no one can be different from Job.

Although Job was saying he only had insecurity, the work of God doesn't end only with lament, resentment, and insecurity. The work by the intervention of God can't stay in those stated above. God's work is linked with the conversation between God and Job, bringing him to the confession of his repentance. This is the true evidence of the work of God.

Taking a look at the beginning of the Book of Job, we might think Job had enough reason to be saved because he eschewed evil and kept his integrity. At our criteria of salvation, he was suitable for that. Yet, even such person, like Job, cursed on the day of his birth and resented God gave light and life, showing us the fact that no one deserves for salvation.

We are not far from Job either. Although God gave us light and life, we can't just be satisfied by that, being disappointed and resentful.

Suppose all is done by God. What is the will of God? It is to bring down our religious mind that we would build our own world of faith by works and values, and it is to make us live in thankful hearts, knowing the salvation of God is given to us unconditionally.

Therefore, sufferings and disasters are the good work of God and not evil. Thinking that God is the One who even let us know this truth, we come to confess that walking on the right path of faith is not of our will. Since this is the true world of faith, the subject of faith is not on us but on God. It is not that we believe in Jesus Christ but that we are held by the power of faith, confessing Jesus is Christ, our Lord.

God has given us light and life. Whereas Job thought his death wouldn't come to him due to the light and life in his complaints and resentfulness, we ought to know that our light and life, unshakable, is heaven.

It is true that we live only revealing our sin, it is also known that we live belonging to heaven, not hell, because God has given us light and life. This is the grace of God. It is such amazing grace to say that our salvation can never be shaken up by anything although there are full of complaints and resentfulness in our lives. I am not saying we can live however we want to live by complaining since we are saved, but saying that we are to give thanks to God for the immovable salvation in spite of our resentfulness!

List of Articles
번호 분류 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
92 욥기 (9강) 이 일이 네게 이르매 신윤식 2017.05.27 2875
91 욥기 (92강) 욥의 결말 신윤식 2019.02.16 4696
90 욥기 (91강) 욥에게 가서 신윤식 2019.02.09 809
89 욥기 (90강) 욥의 회개 신윤식 2019.02.02 1677
» 욥기 (8강) 빛과 생명 신윤식 2017.05.20 1809
87 욥기 (89강) 다 내 것이니라 1 신윤식 2019.01.26 16020
86 욥기 (88강) 그리하면 신윤식 2019.01.19 773
85 욥기 (87강) 욥의 대답 신윤식 2019.01.12 1049
84 욥기 (86강) 하나님의 자유 신윤식 2019.01.05 844
83 욥기 (85강) 들나귀의 자유 신윤식 2018.12.29 992